Chelsea interested in Stoke City's Asmir Begovic to replace Arsenal-bound Petr Cech
Chelsea are targeting £8million Stoke keeper Asmir Begovic to replace Petr Cech.
The Potters, however, will fight to keep the 27-year-old Bosnian who they feel will prefer to play regular first team football than to sit on the bench.
Cech is seeking to quit Chelsea after more than a decade with the newly-crowned champions for title rivals Arsenal. Chelsea do not want to sanction his departure until they have secured a replacement
Stoke have had no approach as yet from Chelsea for Begovic, who has 40 caps for his country and has just a year left on his Stoke contract.
Talks between the player’s representatives and the Potters, who finished ninth in the Premier League last month, have been ongoing for some time.
Both parties, however, have been waiting until the end of the season to engage in serious discussions.
Chelsea are ready to step in and present to Begovic the opportunity to play second fiddle to Thibaut Courtois.
Jose Mourinho sees Begovic as the high-class keeper he needs strengthen his squad in readiness to retain the Premier League title and launch a bid for the Champions League.
But Stoke are hoping that Begovic will note the departure of a keeper of Cech’s quality and decide he is better off playing every week.
Chelsea also have an interest in QPR keeper Robert Green but have yet to make a formal approach to the relegated west Londoners.
- OdiBets unveils ambitious plan to support grassroots footballFootball 1 week ago
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to axe eight Man United starsFootball 2 months ago
- SHOCKING VIDEO: Arnold Schwarzenegger attacked with flying kick in South Africa Gossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- How Chelsea goalkeeper saved Chelsea to reach Europa League finalFootball 1 month ago
- Premier League club sack managerPremier League 1 month ago
- BIG blow for Chelsea! Marcos Alonso delivers BAD NEWS to fansFootball 1 month ago
- Portugal defeat Netherlands to win first Nations LeagueFootball 2 weeks ago