Man, 67, kills himself, family blames loan
By Gilbert Kimutai | June 17th 2021
A 67-year-old village elder in Chepalungu has committed suicide.
Relatives of John Koros from Atebwo in Siongiroi said they suspect that he killed himself over a bank loan that he claimed he was unable to pay due to economic hardships.
“He was yet to repay the loan, though he did not leave any note,” said a relative who sought anonymity.
The relative said though he had not revealed the bank institution he took the loan from, they had noticed Koros was a disturbed man.
Bingwa Chief, Philip Langat, said the body was found dangling from a tree Wednesday afternoon by the deceased’s son.
“The incident has taken us by surprise,” the chief said. “It is very strange that an elder of his stature can commit suicide.”
Chepalungu Sub-County police commander Nelson Maasai said the body of the deceased was taken to Longisa Hospital Mortuary.
Maasai said a team of detective has been dispatched to the scene to conduct investigations.
At the same time, Langat has decried rising cases of suicide, saying locals were still mourning a secondary school teacher who killed himself a week ago.
The teacher is reported to have committed suicide after a quarrel with his wife.
The chief said there was an urgent need to find a solution to the rampant suicide cases involving youth, elders and even young children.
“Cases of suicide have reached a worrying level. We need to speak up and share our problems rather than committing suicide,” said Langat.
Emmanuel Korir wins Kenya's first Gold at Tokyo Olympics
- Kenya’s drought in women’s steeplechase goes on and on
- Athing Mu: 19-year-old Sudanese prodigy shining for USA at the Tokyo Olympics
- Factbox: Coronavirus cases at the Tokyo Olympics
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession