Night fishing at Lake Naivasha banned to tame illegal gangs
By Antony Gitonga
| June 4th 2021
The government has banned night fishing in Lake Naivasha.
Naivasha Sub-county security committee and the fisheries department said the ban was meant to contain the rising cases of illegal fishing by gangs that have invaded the water body in the last one year.
The move comes as officers from the Kenya Coast Guards Services (KCGS) arrived in the town to back patrols by officers from the fisheries department.
According to Naivasha Sub-county Commissioner Mutua Kisilu, investigations had revealed that illegal fishing was being done at night.
Speaking after a stakeholders’ meeting in South Lake, Mr Kisilu announced a major crackdown targeting illegal fishing groups popularly known as ‘ngoja-ngoja’. He said fishermen would only be allowed in the lake between 4am and 6pm.
Sh32b Nairobi Railway City classified as key national projectNairobi Railway City has been classified as a strategic national project in line with Physical Planning Act and the Ministry of Lands.
Sony Sugar to cease operations for six weeks for maintenance worksSony Sugar Company will close its operations temporarily for six weeks.
Karen Hospital co-founder Dr James Mageria dies of cancer
- Why Dr James Gakara's postmortem failed to proceed
- Jubilee nominates Isaac Ngugi to replace Prengei, Governor Kinyajui protests
- Masinde Muliro University’s top administration, including VC, announced
By Brian Okoth
- Home alone: Kenyans don’t understand why man’s angry after wives leave him
By Brian Okoth
- Nakuru family in agony as KWS detective goes missing