NAIROBI: A Chinese tour guide who allegedly stabbed and killed a tourist in Maasai Mara has been arraigned in court.
Li Changqing is alleged to have committed the offense on August 8, 2016 at Sun Africa Hotels Keekorok Lodge where he is alleged to have killed Luo Jinli a tourist from China.
Jinli allegedly argued with the accused over sitting arrangement for dinner when the accused drew a knife and stabbed her. The woman died on her way to hospital where she was being taken for medication.
Her husband sustained serious injuries as it is alleged was also stabbed on the stomach by the accused.
The accused who had been taken for a psychiatric test earlier on was found fit to face trial. A medical report presented in court indicated he was of sound mind. He took plea before Justice Maureen Odero and denied the charges.
- 1 Kisii School student to face attempted murder charges
- 2 Video: Coronavirus pandemic cuts livelihoods of Maasai women artists
- 3 Ranches near Mara to remove fences
- 4 Murder convict triggers change in criminal law
Odero however ordered the matter be heard in Naivasha High Court as the incident took place in Narok. She had earlier on declined to give a date for hearing of the case but after the lawyer to the accused intervened, a hearing date was set for September 1, 2016 in Naivasha High Court.
"This is a Narok matter and I therefore direct that it be heard in Naivasha high court. The date of hearing will be set by the court in Naivasha," she said.
The accused’s lawyer Cliff Ombeta sought to have his client released on reasonable bond terms.
He said he had not seen or received an affidavit from the prosecution and the investigating officer denying him bond.
Ombeta said the accused has been in the country since 1997 and was a resident despite being a non-citizen. He said the accused has a work permit and operates his owns a tour guide company in Nairobi. According to him the accused was not at flight risk as he could not leave his business behind.
"My client despite not being a Kenyan citizen is a resident of this country since 1997, he owns a tour guide company and operates a business in Hurlingham-Nairobi," said Ombeta.
The prosecution did not object the bond application but pleaded with the court to instil strict bond terms on him. The prosecutor Joel Chirchir applied that the accused surrender his passport to the court. He also said he should report to Narok DCIO after every one month.
Changqing was released on Sh1million bond with surety of similar amount upon which he failed to raise was to be remanded at Naivasha Maximum Prison.
The court however directed that he surrender his passport in court until his case is concluded. It further ordered that he report to the DCIOs office starting September 1, 2016.