No contest: IEBC declares Abdulkadir Haji as Garissa Senator
By Sara Okuoro | April 6th 2021
The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission has declared Abdulkadir Mohamed Haji as the Senator of Garissa County.
In a Gazette Notice dated April 6, 2021, IEBC Chairman Wafula Chebukati announced that there was “no contest” and declared Abdulkadir Mohamed Haji “duly elected as the Senator, Garissa County.”
The Garissa by-election had been scheduled for May 18.
Abdul Haji who ran for the senatorial seat on a Jubilee Party ticket was the only candidate in the race.
He replaces his father, the late Yusuf Haji, who died in February this year.
Abdul is famously known for his courage in helping to rescue civilians during the Westgate Mall terror attack.
71-year-old man admits to raping woman
- 'Fake' engineer arraigned
By Brian Okoth
- Kenyans to pay more for cooking gas beginning July
- Three dead in brazen night shooting in Changamwe
- Senator Moi meets US Chief of Mission to Kenya
- Minor dies after being hit over Sh10
By Anne Atieno