Kisumu medics defy return-to-work order
By Mactilda Mbenywe and John Oywa | June 14th 2020
Striking health care workers now risk losing their jobs after they defied Governor Anyang’ Nyong’o's (pictured) order to return to work.
In the directive issued on Thursday, Nyong’o ordered the healthcare workers to resume duty failure to which they will be sacked.
He wondered why they were pressing on with the strike at a time the county was battling with the Covid-19 pandemic.
But yesterday, as most medics failed to report to work, county human resources staff started implementing the directive.
Aloys Ager, the county director of communication, said medical superintendents, heads of departments and Ministry of Health officials would conduct a roll call of those who did not report to work.
Row threatens to halt irrigation project
Elsewhere in Migori County, the Sh5.4 billion Lower Kuja Irrigation scheme has run into fresh controversy after four locals accused the government of taking their land.
The four, members of one family, are each demanding Sh12.5 million from the National Irrigation Authority (NIA) for allegedly taking their seven-acre land without their consent.
Through their lawyer, the family claims NIA had dug canals, drainage, weir and access roads on their land, thereby displacing them.
In the demand letter to NIA, the family wants the project halted if they cannot be compensated for their land.
But in a rejoinder, NIA resident engineer Nesline Ogwe said plans to compensate those affected had been marred by the Covid-19 pandemic.
Knitting diver Tom Daley catches attention at Tokyo Olympics
- Abel Kipsang sets new Olympic record in 1,500m semis
- Thursday notebook: Team Kenya outfit is popular in Tokyo
- Olympics: Kimeli to stage lone battle in 5,000m final
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession