× Digital News Videos Africa Health & Science Opinion Columnists Education Lifestyle Cartoons Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Gender Planet Action Podcasts E-Paper Tributes Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS


Two secondary school girls admitted to hospital after suicide attempt

By Stanley Ongwae | Aug 5th 2016 | 2 min read

Two students from a secondary school in Nyamira County are recuperating at a local hospital after a suicide attempt.

The schoolgirls were admitted to Nyamira County Hospital Thursday morning after they swallowed an insecticide.

They had been suspended for stealing examination material.

According to Omosasa Mixed DOK Secondary School Principal Paul Angwenyi, the two Form One students, together with others, were sent home for their parents after they were found culpable for stealing examination materials from the office.

Mr Angwenyi said one of the students was given a key to the office but ended up abusing the trust by being part of a conspiracy to steal end-term exams.

"When we investigated and found out that the girls were behind the examination leak, we decided to send them home for their parents before administering guidance and counselling but they decided to go their way and instead tried to kill themselves," said the principal.

Nyamira County Hospital Medical Superintendent Silas Ayunga said the girls were brought to the facility while unconscious but medics had neutralised the poison.

"One of them was unconcsious by the time we were receiving them but by now (Thursday afternoon), they are okay and can be able to talk," Dr Ayunga said.

The parent of one of the girls said she had no information that her daughter had been sent home over exam leak.

Dr Ayunga said the girls were responding well to treatment and could be discharged after two days.

This is was second case of attempted suicide by students referred to the hospital.

Early this year, three girls of Tabaka High School in Kisii County were also admitted to the same facility after attempting to kill themselves by ingesting sulphuric acid.

The girls had also been sent home for parents after they were found in the school with phones, against the school rules.

They were all discharged after three days in hospital.

Share this story
Joyce Laboso: My pride in Hillary Clinton nomination
I was overcome by feelings of envy, empathy and hope as I attended the Democratic National Convention in the US where Hillary Clinton was formally nominated as the party’s candidate in the November elections.
When Njonjo almost resigned over coffee smugglers
Known as the era of black gold, it began in 1976 when Ugandan farmers decided to sell their coffee in the private market.