Officers in bungled Mukuru slum demolitions now sent on leave
Kamore Maina and James Wanzala
| Jan 7th 2022 | 2 min read
Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i has announced that two senior officers who were involved in the Mukuru land tussle will be held to account.
He blamed the police for the bungled operations at the Mukuru Kwa Njenga slums, where one person was shot dead and two others injured during an operation on December 27.
“We have to strike a balance between court orders and the rights of the people. Those (officers) will be called to account,” Matiang’i said yesterday when he engaged the locals alongside his Lands counterpart Farida Karoney.
Separately, Inspector General of Police Hilary Mutyambai confirmed to The Standard that two senior police commanders in Nairobi and a member of the provincial administration, who were part of the Mukuru demolition operation have been sent on forced leave.
The IG however declined to comment on what action the Government intended to take on the three.
The CS spoke at a forum in Nairobi’s South B that brought together community leaders from the Mukuru Kwa Njenga slum.
The meeting was aimed at finding a solution to the impasse following the demolitions to pave way for expansion of Catherine Ndereba road.
But even as the Government officials met with the leaders from the slums, another group claiming to also be officials of the same slum camped outside the meeting venue in protest.
The group that included former Embakasi South MP Ishrad Sumra and current MP Julius Mawathe were locked out of the meeting chaired by Matiang’i and attended by among others Interior PS Karanja Kibicho, Karoney and Nairobi Metropolitan Services Director General Mohammed Badi.
Following the meeting, Matiang’i said the Government had with immediate effect stopped any activity in the slums including sub-division of land until after it had been surveyed. At the same time, the Lands Ministry plans to within 14 days identify the genuine land owners after which it will issue title deeds.
Laikipia Governor Ndiritu Muriithi agrees to head Raila teamLaikipia Governor Ndiritu Muriithi has acknowledged his appointment as the chairman of Raila Odinga campaigns board.
Mediation ordered in Treasury, county fund allocation caseThe High Court in Nakuru has ordered mediation in a case pitting Nyandarua County Assembly Service Board and National Treasury over disbursement...
'Rich' Samuel Mugota was into Sim-swapping, bank fraud, DCI say
By Fred Kagonye
- Nairobi Railway project to begin in two months
- The Wangechi we knew, KIMC students remember teen killed in Kiambu
By David Njaaga
- Why Uhuru will not be campaigning for Raila Odinga
- Teen pilot reaches Kenya in round the world quest
- How 3 men whose IDs were found in Samuel Mugota's car 'lost Sh810,000'