Methodist Church wing breaks away, wants church devolved
By Phares Mutembei | July 20th 2021
A wing in the Methodist Church in Kenya (MCK) which is headquartered in Meru County has broken away to form the Mount Kenya Region Conference
The group of church leaders opposed to the leadership of MCK Presiding Bishop Joseph Ntombura, who also doubles as the president of the Methodist Church in Africa, on Sunday unveiled Rev Misheck Kanake as the new president of Mount Kenya Region Conference.
The ceremony to unveil Kanake was held under the guard of police officers at Amwamba Primary School in Igembe South Sub-county.
Kanake said he vouched for the creation of regional conferences to encourage the devolution of the church functions and enhance autonomy and governance. He was accompanied by Charles Makonde, president of Coast region, and Gershon Mwiti of Nairobi Conference.
The Coast and Nairobi conferences were the first to break away, even as other church leaders allied to Bishop Ntombura maintained it was against the church standing orders.
Kanake and his allies maintained the creation of Mount Kenya Conference, also to be headquartered in Meru, was just the beginning in their clamour to decentralise the church’s functions.
“Let the Methodist faithful in Kenya be ready to welcome and accommodate devolution. The future of the Methodist Church in Kenya is in devolution allowing the Executive authority to go to the regions,” Kanake said.
Italian Jacobs wins men's 100m gold at Tokyo Olympics
- Olympics: Rotich and Korir reach 800m final as Saruni misses out
- Ferdinand Omanyala breaks national record, but fails to make finals
- Chepkoech, Kiyeng through to steeplechase final as Korir disqualified in 400m men heats
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession