× Digital News Videos Health & Science Opinion Education Columnists Lifestyle Cartoons Moi Cabinets Kibaki Cabinets Arts & Culture Podcasts E-Paper Tributes Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS

Shootout: Police kill mastermind in Sh72m Sept 2019 Standard Bank ATM heist

By Betty Njeru | March 25th 2020

Wycliff Vincent Odour, the mastermind of the Sh72m Nairobi West ATM heist who was gunned down in Kayole, Nairobi. 

Detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) have gunned down Wycliff Vincent Odour whom they say was the mastermind of the October 2019 Sh72m Nairobi West ATM heist.

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations said the suspect was killed after a fierce shootout ensued between a three-man gang of robbery with violence suspects and the police on Tuesday night in Kayole, Nairobi.

“Armed with pistols, the three started robbing members of the public, a scene which attracted the attention of a team of Kayole officers on patrol. The gang defied orders to surrender, engaging the officers in a fire exchange which left the said suspect down,” the DCI said.

Police are pursuing the other two suspects who escaped on a motorbike.

Authorities who were responding to a distress call from the public said they recovered a pistol and a kitchen knife from the slain suspect.

The suspect, Wycliff Odour alias 'Vinii' had been out on Sh500,000-bond following his arraignment last year.

On September 5, 2019, crooks posing as police officers stole Sh72 million on transit from G4S headquarters in Industrial Area to Standard Chartered Bank in Nairobi West.

Police said the men seemed to have prior knowledge of the movements of the cash, signifying it was an inside job.

No force was used in the incident.

They said part of the cash that was stolen as G4S employees transported it in a van while the rest was withdrawn from an ATM in Nairobi West.

Three police officers and a KDF soldier were later arrested in Kikuyu and Githurai areas, but one suspect managed to escape.

Acting on a tip-off, officers from the Special Crimes Prevention Unit proceeded to Thika town where they arrested officers Simon Karuku and his wife Caroline Njeri. 


How I am protecting my business in COVID-19 times
While some businesses are looking at a possible shutdown, others are putting up measures to keep their head above the water.
Why Kenyan boxers are winning medals once again
The BFK led by President Anthony ‘Jamal’ Ombok was elected into the office in 2019 and has since...
Share this story