×
× Digital News Videos Kenya @ 50 Health & Science Lifestyle Opinion Education Columnists Ureport Arts & Culture Moi Cabinets Fact Check The Standard Insider Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
Login ×

Court removes Haji and Kinoti from Cohen succession case

By Faith Karanja | March 3rd 2020 at 00:00:00 GMT +0300

Sarah Wairimu with lawyer Philip Murgor at the Milimani law courts. [File, Standard]

A Nairobi court yesterday struck out Noordin Haji and George Kinoti as parties in a succession case involving the widow of slain Dutch tycoon Tob Cohen.

Sarah Wairimu, who is on trial for Cohen's murder, had sought to have the Director of Public Prosecution and Director of the Directorate of Criminal Investigations, respectively, enjoined in a suit in which she accused them of refusing to hand over her share of the property that the couple owned.

But Mr Haji and Mr Kinoti told Lady Justice Lydia Achode that they had no interest in the Cohen estate, and that any property in their possession was being held as potential evidence after forensic examination of the scene of crime.

"I decline to retain the two parties in this matter because they are not part of the deceased family members," ruled Justice Achode.

Read More

Kinoti has said that Cohen was trussed up, tortured and murdered before his body was dumped in an underground water tank at his house on Farasi Lane in Lower Kabete.

Philip Murgor, Wairimu's lawyer, had earlier told the court that the DPP and DCI had illegally seized his client's matrimonial home. Murgor had said his client needed her clothes, shoes and a car parked at the house, which had been declared a crime scene.

Wairimu had also filed another application through lawyer Samora Owino seeking Sh500 million over the seizure of the family's property.

Mr Owino told the court that Wairimu and Cohen had bought the Farasi Lane property on June 7, 2000, and that it was registered in the husband's name by mutual agreement. 


Dutch tycoon Tob Cohen Noordin Haji George Kinoti Sarah Wairimu
Share this story

More stories


Take a Break

Feedback