China declares her support for Kenya in fighting terror

Police officer evacuating victims of terror attack from Dusit Hotel in Nairobi on 15th January 2019. [Edward Kiplimo,Standard].

China has declared that she will support Kenya in the war against terrorism barely a week after deadly Dusit Hotel terror attack in Nairobi where 21 people were killed.

In a translated message conveyed to Foreign Affairs Cabinet Secretary Monica Juma, Wang Yi, China’s State Councilor and Foreign Minister, conveyed the country’s condolences and sympathies to affected families who lost loved ones in the attack at 14 Riverside Drive Complex.

“China firmly opposes all forms of terrorism, and will continue to offer unwavering support to Kenya’s efforts to fight against terrorism and maintain national security,” the Beijing’s top diplomat said.

The solidarity statement followed a briefing to foreign diplomats stationed in Nairobi, where she assured them of the government’s commitment to fight terror, while seeking their support.

At a meeting in Nairobi, Juma told the foreign envoys that the Al-Shabaab-linked terrorists who launched the attack targeted the world because the hotel and office complex on 14 Riverside Drive hosted a number of global establishments and international interests.

“While this attack on the Dusit Complex was on the Kenyan territory, it was targeted at the world. The complex hosts a range international establishments and interests,” she said.

Juma who was accompanied by Cabinet colleagues Fred Matiangi (Interior) and Najib Balala (Tourism), and National Police Service Inspector General Joseph Boinnet said more than ever, concerted efforts by the international community were critical to degrading terror groups.

“The attack is a clear reminder that the terrorists’ objective is to change the way of life of other societies. It is a reminder that no country is immune to international terrorism,” the CS told the diplomatic corps two days after the attack.

Ten suspects have so far been arraigned in court over the attack, with police now allowed to detain them for 30 days to complete the investigations.