44 babies born at Nairobi hospitals on New Year
By Brigid Chemweno | January 2nd 2016
Some 44 women welcomed their bundles of joy at Kenyatta National Hospital and Pumwani Maternity Hospital as Kenyans ushered in the New Year.
Twenty six babies were born at Kenyatta while 18 babies were born at Pumwani. The first at Kenyatta was Chrispine Baraka at 12.06am to Jacklyn Naibei. Her mother could not hide her joy as she termed her baby a blessing since she has been praying God to give her a boy.
Blessing Mumo was the first baby born at Pumwani at 1.10am to Janeliza Wanjala and David Mutala. Mutala said they were preparing to go for New Year night vigil when labour pains came. “I accompanied her to Pumwani and arrived at 11pm.”
According to Elsie Kariuki, a nurse in Pumwani, the facility records 60-80 deliveries on daily basis. At Kenyatta, Nancy Ngetha, a nursing officer, said the hospitals records 50 deliveries daily.
Good news as government slashes secondary school fees
- I'm ready to face your coalition, DP Ruto now tells Uhuru and Raila
- Captain drops his last anchor by Lake Kirubi
- Puzzle of missing security consultant deepens
By Kamore Maina
- Mt Kenya leaders reassure Raila on 2022
- Manhunt for policeman who assaulted, pricked his wife's genitals with nails
By James Omoro