Terror suspects to wait longer for bail appeal
| November 21st 2013
By FRED MAKANA
NAIROBI, KENYA: Four suspected terrorists, alleged to be behind the Westgate Mall siege will know next week if they will be granted bail.
By Wednesday, only one of the suspects had filed a replying affidavit as requested by the prosecutor.
During the mention of the case, State Counsel Mungai Warui told Nairobi Chief Magistrate the defence filed replying affidavits late, and the prosecution needed time to respond.
He requested for two days to get in touch with the investigation officer in the case. “The court made an order for the defence to supply us with replying affidavits but so far we have only received a response from the third accused,” Warui said
The State counsel asked the defence to supply the prosecution with all replying affidavits before close of business yesterday, so as to expedite the case.
However, the third accused’s lawyer Muriethi Mbugua faulted the prosecution for delays in supplying the defence with the documentary exhibits and witness statements it seeks to rely on during trial. A request by Mr Mbugua to proceed with the matter in the absence of his co-accused was turned down by the magistrate who ordered the four to file affidavits.
Six people never to trust with your secretsYou're in it. That warm wash of "not good enough" has taken over. It doesn't matter how you get into shame; the trick is getting out.
Why Kenyan boxers are winning medals once againThe BFK led by President Anthony ‘Jamal’ Ombok was elected into the office in 2019 and has since...
What pulpit ban? DP Ruto addresses Kiambu church, donates Sh2m
By Jael Mboga
- Court halts KRA bid to auction hospital's Sh22b machines
- TSC all set to roll out new refresher courses
- Ruto’s church politicking irony
- Unions ask CS Magoha not to reappoint former UoN council members
- Order! Kaparo on Raila's fifth stab at presidency, the big Laikipia lie and dancing politicians
By Nzau Musau