Couple die while getting acquainted in car after carbon monoxide leaks in through exhaust pipe
By Mirror | May 22nd 2015
A couple were killed by exhaust fumes as they made love in a car, police believe.
Violet Iles, 25, and David Long, 31, left the engine running with the windows up for at least an hour and a half as the night-time temperature dropped to 4C.
Police say the car exhaust system was rusted and carbon monoxide flooded in.
The couple were found dead next morning at 6.40a.m. by David’s brother Kevin as he walked his children to the school bus.
Shocked Kevin said: “I pulled him out and tried to do CPR on him and the paramedics tried to talk me through it over the phone.”
But David, who has a daughter, and Violet – who has sons aged four and six – were pronounced dead in Glencoe, Kentucky.
Police suspect the couple had been having sex but said later they may merely have pulled over so they could get some sleep.
Officers are still waiting for the results of toxicology reports to find out if either of them had alcohol or drugs in their system.
Take a quick survey and help us improve our website!Take a survey
It is believed the couple had left the engine running so they could keep the car’s heater on as the night became colder.
County Sheriff Josh Neale warned of the danger of sitting in a car with the engine still on.
He said anyone staying inside for prolonged periods should wind the windows down to avoid being overcome by carbon-dioxide fumes, which are colourless and have no smell.
Violet’s sister has now started a GoFundMe page in honour of the tragic mum-of-two.
Sexual relations with a cousin: What the law says
- BMW driver dies after hitting truck on the Southern Bypass
By Mate Tongola
- Otiende: My removal from JLAC has nothing to do with BBI
- Kivutha Kibwana faulted for hiring brother as Health chief officer
By Grace Nganga
- Puzzle of SMS, tweet that sunk Raila ally
- Want to know the truth about the dead? Read the obituaries
By XN Iraki