Leadership row cripples learning at Great Lakes University of Kisumu

Empty lecture hall at Great Lakes University in Kisumu after the new Vice Chancellor reported. Lack of smooth transition has paralyzed learning at the institution. (Photo: Denish Ochieng/ Standard)

Leadership wrangles have paralysed learning at the Great Lakes University of Kisumu.

Hundreds of students were forced to go home after the wrangles pitting newly-appointed Vice Chancellor David Kodia against suspended VC Ndede Amadi continued to cause tension at the institution.

Last Friday, the new VC was denied access to the institution by guards who were allegedly acting on instructions from Ms Amadi.


Amadi told The Standard that her dismissal was not done in accordance with the law and that was why she was opting to stay put as she prepared to challenge her suspension in court.

Prof Kodia managed to enter the premises for the first time under heavy police security led by the Muhoroni police boss.

Kodia said he received a letter of appointment last Friday asking him to join the institution in an acting capacity following Amadi’s suspension.

Amadi has insisted she has a five-year contract that is still running. According to her, this invalidated the suspension.

In a letter dated March 10, 2017, addressed to the suspended VC by the university’s governing council, Amadi was accused of ignoring an earlier suspension letter sent to her on January 30, 2017.

The council noted that Amadi had continued to enter the institution’s premises by force and serve as VC despite the suspension.


“Despite the clear terms of the governing council’s letter of suspension to you, you have wilfully and deliberately disobeyed the council’s entire directives,” read the letter.

On the same day, the council wrote another letter appointing Kodia, a former principal of Bishop Okullu College, to serve in an acting capacity.

Both have continued to lay claim to leadership, paralysing learning at the institution in the process.

Amadi told The Standard the council attempting to remove her from office had been dissolved in February and as a result, did not have the mandate to send her home.

“I will be going to court in the afternoon to obtain orders,” she said.

By the time of going to press, she was yet to get the orders.

Kodia also told The Standard that he was the bona fide VC and would be meeting students as well as staff to help restore normalcy to the university.