× Digital News Videos Health & Science Opinion Education Columnists Cartoons Lifestyle Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Ramadhan Special Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×

Electric shock survivors referred to Kenyatta National Hospital

COUNTIES
By Mercy Kahenda | April 6th 2016
Felix Odhiambo 23 who sustained 8 percent electrical burn is dressed at Valley Hospital in Nakuru on 04-04-2016 after he was electrocuted in Nakuru as he was repairing electrical line,two of them sustained injuries and are recuperating at Valley Hospital PHOTO:BONIFACE THUKU

Two electric shock survivors have been referred to the Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) for specialised care from a Nakuru hospital.

Peter Omenda, 39, and Felix Odhiambo, 23, suffered severe burns after electrical power was switched on last Sunday while they were working on a line.

Omende, a father of six, sustained more than 50 per cent of burns while Odhiambo sustained eight per cent burns in the incident at Industrial Area within Nakuru town.

Doctor Rabuogi Logan said Omende’s condition required a referral to the national hospital for further medical observation and care.

“Omende’s condition is not good, that is why he is being referred to KNH for more medical check-up,” said Dr Logan.

Kidney failure

The doctor said Omende was discovered to have developed kidney failure after internal examination was done.

“The patient has developed kidney failure, a condition that requires a specialist and he may be put on dialysis to manage his condition,” said Dr Logan, adding that electric shock interferes with kidney and muscles.

Take a quick survey and help us improve our website!

Take a survey

The doctor added that medics at KNH will put the patient in Intensive Care Unit (ICU).

“Electrical burns cause more internal injuries to a patient, injuries that are discovered gradually,” said the doctor.

He added that Odhiambo underwent internal examination but no injuries have been detected though he requires further medical follow-ups and wound care to avoid any infections.

The two employees of Easy-take Company, contracted to carry out installation, blamed the Kenya Power control room for switching on the line without informing them, an allegation the firm’s Managing Director Ben Chumo denied.

Share this story
15,000 face eviction from airport land, says report
The proposed demolition of premises near the Moi International Airport in Mombasa will render more than 15,000 people homeless, a report by the county assembly indicates.
COVID-19 outbreak at Lukaku's Inter Milan
Inter Milan's Serie A match at home to Sassuolo on Saturday is to be postponed and their players will be pulled out of international duty after...

.
RECOMMENDED NEWS

Feedback