Senator Kipchumba Murkomen picked to chair law review team
By Roselyne Obala | June 27th 2015
The Jubilee government is headed for turbulent times following heightened push by senators for constitutional change.
Elgeyo Marakwet Senator Kipchumba Murkomen, a close ally of President Uhuru Kenyatta and his deputy William Ruto, has now been tasked with the mandate to spearhead the process to amend the Constitution to grant the Senate more powers.
Murkomen will chair the select committee on Legal and Constitutional Review, and he will be deputised by Makueni Senator Mutula Kilonzo Junior.
The committee will audit the law and table a report in the House, from which a bill to amend the Constitution will be drafted.
The legislator said the committee will seek to safeguard the independence of crucial devolution institutions under threat and enhance accountability.
BBI ruling: Ruto, other leaders react to shock decision
By Betty Njeru
- Ruto, Atwoli differ on BBI shock ruling
- Court declares BBI referendum process illegal
- Appeal ruling, Governor Lee Kinyanjui tells BBI proponents
- Son of former Kisumu mayor found dead
- Bonchari, Juja by-elections in limbo as AG heads to Court of Appeal