Tributes flow as Nyeri County mourns
By Standard on Saturday Team | February 25th 2017
President Uhuru Kenyatta led the nation in mourning Nyeri Governor Nderitu Gachagua. The President sent his condolences to Mrs Margaret Gachagua, family and Nyeri constituents.
"Words cannot convey the magnitude of this loss," the President said. He commended the governor's accomplishments in infrastructural development and his contribution to reforms in the coffee sector.
Deputy President William Ruto said Gachagua was an astute politician who made significant contribution to his constituents and the nation.
Opposition leader Raila Odinga said he had fond memories of Gachagua saying: "I knew him as a smart politician with the humility, strength and determination to serve his people. Council of Governor Chairperson Peter Munya, Nyeri Senator Mutahi Kagwe, National Assembly Speaker Justin Muturi and Mukurwe-ini MP Kabando wa Kabando also condoled with the family.
Ex-Raila aide lays ground for Ruto's Nyanza visit
- Duale mocks Raila, Kalonzo union, says why it will flop
- Body of Kilifi woman stolen from grave found dumped near river
- 'Scarface': End of an era as iconic lion dies aged 14 at Masai Mara
- Six killed in game park gun battle
By Ali Abdi
- Revisitor and revisited: We can’t blame Uhuru entirely