Governor Oparanya alleges Treasury plans to ‘starve’ counties
By Alex Wakhisi | February 18th 2017
Governor Wycliffe Oparanya has censured The Treasury for slashing budgetary allocation to counties by Sh8 billion.
The CoG Finance chairman has blamed Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich for the reduced funding, which he said would 'starve" counties financially.
He is appealing to the national government to increase allocations to county governments to facilitate development at the grassroots.
"In South Africa, devolved units get 45 per cent of the total budget while in Nigeria they receive 50 per cent.
In Kenya, we are denied enough money so that people feel we have failed in our development plans," he said, and also complained over the Government's Sh2.63 trillion budget. -Alex Wakhisi
Siaya politician Florence Aluodo dies
- Former Gem MP Jakoyo Midiwo dies at 54
- Chris Kirubi: Business dealmaker to the last day
- How trip to Middle East ended up in a house in Thika
- KICC was once a 'compass' for locating places in town
- No degree? Forget elective positions next year - IEBC