JSC has resolved to interview all individuals who had applied for the positions of Chief Justice and the Deputy Chief Justice, including those whose applications it had earlier rejected.
This comes after several civil society groups sued the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) in a bid to stop the ongoing recruitment for the positions of chief justice, deputy chief justice and Supreme Court judge.
The groups claimed the process adopted to shortlist candidates for interviews for the posts was opaque and illegal.
They also wanted the High Court to compel JSC to disclose why some applicants were rejected and the criteria used to prepare a shortlist of those to be interviewed from August 29.
The Judicial Service Commission (JSC) has since been served with the order of the High Court on the above matters.
In a statement, Prof Margaret Kobia, acting JSC Chair, communicated the changes. It read:
- When David Maraga sought to send MPs home over two-thirds gender rule
- Martha Koome: Why corruption cases take long in court
- Martha Karua has proved it Sky is the limit for our girls, women
- CJ Martha Koome: President enjoys sovereign immunity
In compliance with the Court Order, the JSC has resolved as follows:
1. The ongoing interviews for position of Chief Justice will proceed as earlier scheduled.
2. All the applicants for the position of Chief Justice, Deputy Chief Justice and Judge of the Supreme Court previously left out of the shortlist shall be scheduled for interviews.
3. The interviews for these applicants shall commence on the September 5th 2016.
4. In complying with the directions of the Court, the JSC will publish the revised schedule of interviews for the positions of Deputy Chief Justice and Supreme Court Judge.
5. As per the requirements of the Judicial Service Act, the public is now hereby invited to give their views on the candidature of the following persons who will be interviewed as follows
Position of Chief Justice
September, 5th 2016 Andrew Kongani Udoto Kongani
September, 6th 2016 Hon Mr. Justice (Rtd) Aaron Gitonga Ringera
September, 7th 2016 David Waisiko Wambura
September, 8th 2016 David Mwaure Waihiga
September 9th 2016 Hon Prof. Justice Jacton Boma Ojwang
September, 12th 2016 Lucy Wanja Julius
September 13th 2016 Prof Makau Mutua.
Dates for interviews for the following applicants along with all other candidates will be announced once the new schedule of interviews has been prepared;
Position of Deputy Chief Justice
1. David Mwaure Waihiga
2. Dr Isaac Michael Rutenburg
3. Hon Judith Mulama Wanjala
Position of Judge of Supreme Court
1. Dr Isaac Michael Rutenberg
2. Hon Judith Mulama wanjala
3. Prof Kevin Faustine O. Mare