× Digital News Videos Health & Science Lifestyle Opinion Education Columnists Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Fact Check Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
Login ×

Autopsy: Two inmates may have been tortured to death

By Muriithi Mugo | December 10th 2020 at 00:00:00 GMT +0300

John Muriuki’s brother-in-law Kisila Mugo, sister Consolata Gatiri and mother Loise Wawira view his photos at their home in Ngurubani, Kirinyaga County. Inset: Martin Musyoka. [Muriithi Mugo, Standard]

Preliminary results of an autopsy show that two suspects who died at Wang’uru Police Station in Kirinyaga may have been tortured to death.

Chief government pathologist Johansen Oduor said they had extracted more samples from the bodies of Martin Musyoka, 58, and 28-year-old John Muriuki for further analysis to ascertain what killed the duo two weeks ago.

Oduor said after the analyses of the samples plus what has been found out after the postmortem examination, then they will be able to determine the actual cause of death.

When The Standard visited the homes of the deceased last week, family members recounted how they had trouble finding their kin, only to later find the two bodies at Kerugoya Referral Hospital morgue.

Read More

The two families dismissed claims by police that the two died of Covid-19. They claimed the two were tortured after being arrested for allegedly flouting Covid-19 regulations on Saturday night.

Kirinyaga County Police Commander Leah Kithei said the Independent Policing Oversight Authority had taken over investigations into how the two died.

Kithei said Wang'uru Police Station boss had been redeployed to the county police headquarters after the incident to pave way for investigations.

At his Ngurabani village home, we found Muriuki's family and friends making funeral preparations. Muriuki's mother Loise Wawira said she received a call from her son informing her that he had been arrested.

"Before I could ask any questions, the phone disconnected and he could not be reached anymore," said  Wawira.

"I understand the police said he died of Covid-19, but from the people who viewed the body he had bruises, broken teeth and a swollen head." Muriuki is survived by a wife and a two-year-old child.

Musyoka's brother, on the other hand, said strangers have been threatening them against having the death investigated. Musyoka is survived by two wives and nine children.

Inmates Police brutality
Share this story

More stories

Take a Break