The Kiambu county government has been stopped from taking over a State agency's Sh100 million piece of land.
Environment and Lands Court judge Lucy Gacheru has issued temporary orders barring the government from taking over or interfering with the Postal Corporation of Kenya's three-quarter acre land in Kiambu town.
“An order is issued restraining the county or its agents from interfering with the applicant’s land, cutting down the trees, or destroying structures therein pending the hearing of the suit,” ruled Gacheru.
The application was filed by the corporation and Fave Gas Oil Limited, claiming their land had been illegally invaded by people believed to be county employees.
The dispute started last week when Governor Ferdinand Waititu (above) is said to have ordered the invasion to pave the way for the expansion of a bus park under construction on adjacent land.
- 1 Dons battle to save land from auctioneer
- 2 Kiambu records alarming Covid cases as country’s caseload climbs by 1,459
- 3 Firm builds hospital in less than 10 weeks
- 4 ‘Professional squatters’ threat to security, warns State officer
The corporation claimed the county government’s earth movers invaded the property and started demolishing houses and cutting down trees.
Postmaster-General Dan Kagwe claimed he wrote to the governor asking him to keep off the land as the corporation had signed a lease agreement with a businessman to put up a petrol station on the land but his pleas were disregarded. He said the land was eased to James Mungai for 10 years and that the businessman had paid a Sh143,000 fee to the county for change of user. The case will be heard on October 25.