× Business BUSINESS MOTORING SHIPPING & LOGISTICS DR PESA FINANCIAL STANDARD Digital News Videos Health & Science Lifestyle Opinion Education Columnists Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Fact Check Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×

Tharaka Nithi County rues losses as locusts destroy farms

WORK LIFE
By Dickson Mwiti | March 15th 2020

More than 2,400 metric tonnes of food have been destroyed by desert locusts in Tharaka Nithi County.

Governor Muthomi Njuki said reports indicated the insects occupied about 18 sub-locations, totaling 30,000 acres.

“We were lucky the insects came when the crops were being harvested, and a number of farmers were able to salvage theirs. There are other damages however because some farmers panicked and harvested grains not fully dry, posing dangers of aflatoxin contamination,” he said. Mr Njuki, who is also chairman of agriculture in the Council of Governors, said the war on locusts would be won if community groups joined hands with government in fighting them.

He said officers from National Youth Service and those from the county had done a commendable job in fighting the insects.

“We have sprayed 60 per cent of the affected areas, and we are working hard to ensure we cover the remaining 40 per cent,” said the governor. He asked the Ministry of Agriculture to provide motorised pumps to supplement efforts shown by those on the ground. “We also need motorised mounted pumps to help us spray in every corner,” he said. 

Share this story
Recharge and vroom! Electric cars are here
The manufacturers are now targeting matatus and boda boda motorcycles, promising to reduce their fuel costs by up to 80 per cent.
Dog walking becomes the newest hustle in town
Dog walking is now a status symbol. Owning a pet is cool. I nowadays meet lots of Kenyans and foreigners walking their dogs and some running.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS
Feedback