× Business BUSINESS MOTORING SHIPPING & LOGISTICS DR PESA FINANCIAL STANDARD Digital News Videos Health & Science Lifestyle Opinion Education Columnists Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Fact Check Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×

Kenyans to enjoy fast internet as KETRACO, Liquid partner to extend Fibre Optic

SCI & TECH
By Dominic Omondi | Oct 18th 2017 | 1 min read
By Dominic Omondi | October 18th 2017
SCI & TECH
Kenyans to enjoy fast internet

Kenyans in remote areas will soon enjoy faster internet connectivity.

Ketraco, the country’s power transmission company, has agreed to a 10-year deal that will see Liquid Telecom use the latter’s wire lines to extend fibre optic cables to far-flung counties.

Liquid Telecom won the tender after Ketraco put out an advertisement seeking a firm that would design, supply, instal, manage, and commercialise its fibre network.

The deal, which will cost around Sh600 million, will see consumers in areas such as Garissa, Isiolo, Garsen, Lamu, Rabai, Namanga, and Meru connected to the fibre optic cables. 

Ketraco is expected to earn 60 per cent of the proceeds for contributing the infrastructure while Liquid Telecom will take home the remaining 40 per cent for buying, deploying, operating, and maintaining the equipment.

Ketraco CEO Fernandes Barasa described the partnership as a 'game changer' in the telecommunications sector as it would improve business and quality of life in the country. 

Share this story
KCB Foundation to set up container salons
The KCB Foundation has launched a container-based franchise model to support beauty and personal care businesses.
China rejected Kenya's request for Sh32.8b debt moratorium
China is Kenya’s largest bilateral lender with an outstanding debt of Sh692 billion.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS
Feedback