Bandits interrupt vaccination drive in Turkana, kill man and steal 1,500 cows
By Bakari Ang’ela
| May 21st 2022 | 1 min read
During the attack, the bandits made away with more than 1,500 cattle that had been vaccinated.
Tension remained high after the bandits suspected to be from the neighbouring Baringo County stormed the village located a few kilometres from Kapedo.
During the Thursday raid, the vaccination exercise funded by The World Bank was interrupted following the indiscriminate shootout by the bandits.
A 13-year-old girl who was caught up in the melee sustained gunshot injuries on her thighs and was rushed to nearby Lokori hospital for treatment.
Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries Executive George Emoru who was leading the vaccination exercise was also caught up in the crossfire.
The attack happened as he addressed locals while vaccination continued.
“The vaccination exercise was going on smoothly. We had just gone to the villages to speak to locals on livestock management when the bandits struck and took away all the cattle that we had vaccinated,” Mr Emoru said.
Auditors say regulation of Saccos has helped tame cyber crime
- NBK, Kodris Africa ink deal to ease payments
- A case for repurposing land use for agriculture
By Allan Mungai
- Keroche woes: Tabitha Karanja failed to file tax returns for eight years, KRA states
- Kenya tops in enlisting more women in the maritime sector
- Battle for control of South Sudan cargo at Port of Mombasa rages
By Patrick Beja