× Business BUSINESS MOTORING SHIPPING & LOGISTICS DR PESA FINANCIAL STANDARD Digital News Videos Health & Science Lifestyle Opinion Education Columnists Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Fact Check Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×

Sh300m housing project 'to delay'

REAL ESTATE
By Josphat Thiong’o | October 18th 2018
By Josphat Thiong’o | October 18th 2018
REAL ESTATE
Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko Mbuvi speaks during a past event. [File, Standard]

Estates along flight paths of Moi Airbase and Wilson Airport are to blame for delayed launch of an expansive housing programme.

The City Hall on Tuesday said four of the seven estates earmarked in the new plan under Nairobi regeneration programme were on flight paths.

They are Ngara, Pangani, Jevanjee and Bachelors quarters, which are part of the programme aimed at providing affordable and decent houses.

Governor Mike Sonko said the county government might be forced to construct 14-storey buildings as opposed to the intended 30-storey to avoid interference with the flight paths.

“We are asking the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority to meet with the county government and the ministries of Defence and Transport for a clear mapping out of flight paths,” said the governor.

The Lands and Urban Housing docket, headed by Charles Kerich, stated that a ground-breaking ceremony slated for May was delayed due to logistical hitches.

“We are still engaging residents because we do not want to serve them with notices asking them to leave. We prefer to convince them to leave willingly,” said Mr Kerich.

Sonko, however, said the negotiation process had not been without hitches and faced resistance from tenants.

“Some of these people are adamant that we should continue putting up new houses while they are still in the old ones, which is not practical,” said Sonko.

The first phase of the project is expected to cost Sh300 billion and will put up between 10,000 and 12,000 units. It covers old and new Ngara, Pangani, Jeevanjee-Bachelors, Ngong Road Inspectorate staff quarters, Uhuru and Suna Road.

The famous Toi Market in Kibra will also be demolished for construction of multi-storey buildings and modern market stalls.

The market, which hosts about 5,000 traders, is frequented by thousands of residents looking for stylish second-hand clothes, shoes and other goods.

The project had been planned to start in July 2016.

Share this story
Public debt to hit Sh7 trillion when Uhuru exits
Rotich assures country is not badly off as GDP expanded by 4.9 per cent in 2017
CS Najib Balala summoned over stalled project
There have been reports of cut-throat competition between agencies under the Ministry of Tourism.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS
Feedback