Residents’ woes as Sh152.3 million water project stalls
By Darlington M Manyara | September 14th 2019
Queries are dogging a Sh152.3 million water project meant to cushion hundreds of households from drought.
Kiingirwa Irrigation Water Project was initiated by community members from Athwana, Tigania West Sub-county in the 1990s before the government decided to fund it in 2016.
Locals got a reprieve after the government pumped in Sh152.3million to the project.
The aim of the project was to boost food production through irrigation in arid parts of the three locations in Akithi Division. CS Eugene Wamalwa had officiated its launch.
However, despite the funding no single household has got a drop of water from the project.
A spot check by Saturday Standard revealed that the project could not have even been 30 per cent complete.
Nowhere to hide for defaulters as Safaricom tightens Fuliza rules
- More pain for consumers as Epra raises electricity charges
- Relief for motorists as fuel prices reduce
- Kenya Industrial Estates pledges support for enterprises
- MPs give Treasury six months to table debt cut proposals
- Slight reprieve at the pump as State slashes fuel prices by Sh5