Who is protecting Opondo Kaluma?
National
By
David Odongo
| Aug 20, 2026
A clear case of double standards is emerging at the National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC). Homa Bay town MP Opondo Kaluma has openly defied a summons to appear over hate speech allegations, while the commission and police move with speed against other suspects in the same incident.
While the NCIC threatens arrest and contempt proceedings against ordinary citizens and other politicians who fail to appear, Kaluma has been allowed to dictate his own timetable, raising questions about who is protecting the powerful Homa Bay Town MP.
The summons, dated August 17, 2026, ordered Kaluma to appear before the commission on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, at 10:00 am.
The commission also warned that failure to appear "will lead to warrants of arrest being issued for your arrest and production before the Commission and/or the institution of criminal and/or contempt proceedings against you".
READ MORE
Mabdi: NIF will only fund economically viable projects
Lamu refinery plan gets boost with Dangote's Sh130b underwriting
Selection of transaction advisor paves way for national lottery rollout
Digital skills programme targets 15,000 women traders in three counties
Mazda CX-5: Pretty face, questionable character?
Government fails to stop Sh147.77 market construction case
New innovation to ease container deposit burden on local importers
Ruto's appetite for debt shows no signs of slowing
According to the commission's published material, the disputed comments were made during heightened tensions around the Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay.
The NCIC summoned Kaluma in connection with remarks made during a public gathering in Homa Bay County on or about August 15, 2026. According to the commission, the statements were reportedly made in Dholuo.
In a letter dated August 18, 2026, Kaluma responded to the commission with a tone that suggests he considers himself above the law.
While acknowledging receipt of the summons, Kaluma dismissed the commission's translation as erroneous and demanded that they provide the correct transcription and translation before he would respond. He then cited unavoidable State duties to postpone his appearance to a date after August 27, 2026.
"I have received your Summons dated August 17, 2026. Do note that both the transcription and the translation of the utterances attributed to me are erroneous. Kindly provide the correct transcription and translation and revert herewith for my response. I will be engaged in unavoidable State duties on Wednesday, August 19, 2026. Please reschedule my attendance before the Commission to a date after 27th August, 2026. Remain assured that I relish the opportunity to appear before you and assist the Commission in the discharge of its statutory mandate for the benefit of our country".
The Homa Bay violence itself was severe, and police spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga said the National Police Service would deploy all lawful means to identify and apprehend those responsible and ensure they face the consequences of their actions. He also said officers had already arrested 37 suspects in connection with the violence.
Nyaga detailed the arrests, confirming that 15 suspects arrested in Kisumu were produced in court, with the DCI given four days to investigate. In Homa Bay, 12 suspects took plea and were placed on bond terms, while two others are being investigated for gun-related incidents. One Kassim Abdi Sebu has been ordered to report to the DCI Headquarters in Homa Bay.
The police vowed that all actors involved in gang violence and mayhem shall be dealt with severely. However, the main political actor at the centre of the rhetoric appears to be receiving preferential treatment.
Police say Oliver Jaoko, also known as "Olivetti," is one of the key suspects in the Homa Bay chaos and remains a central target of the investigation. Nyaga said officers were pursuing Jaoko for his alleged role in the violence and urged him to surrender as detectives intensified the manhunt.
Jaoko later tried to surrender, but was reportedly turned away at DCI headquarters on Kiambu Road and then headed to Muthaiga Police Station to make another attempt.
In a dramatic turn of events, Siaya Governor James Orengo said officers told them they were unaware of the directive and refused to receive Jaoko, prompting them to present him at Muthaiga Police Station, where he surrendered.
The Linda Mwananchi faction has come out strongly to condemn the violence witnessed during their rally, calling upon the State entities to bring to book Homa Bay Governor Gladys Wanga and Homa Bay Town MP Opondo Kaluma.
Regretting the death of one of their security team members, former Law Society of Kenya President Faith Odhiambo stated that one of their drivers was severely injured and is currently receiving treatment in Kisumu, while one of their members had their leg amputated.
Linda Mwananchi Spokesperson Caroli Omondi said they had recorded statements and shared the insightful video clips with the relevant authorities to aid in investigations.
"We have come to learn that citizens are cleverer than the leaders. They want to kill the messenger instead of addressing the message, but we will not be cowed or intimidated. That is what Raila stood for and taught us. As we are here, we are the offspring of Raila".
Omondi further accused the political leadership in Luo Nyanza of abandoning their constituents, suggesting that some leaders had prioritised personal gain over public service.
"I have noticed that the citizens are more informed than our leaders. Our leaders in Luo Nyanza are now using their stomach and not their brain".
He remained defiant about the movement's future, confirming that Linda Mwananchi had submitted video evidence of the incitement to authorities, including President Ruto, Interior CS Kipchumba Murkomen, and the Inspector General of Police.
As the NCIC, under Bishop Dr Kepha N. Omande, warns of political intolerance and acts that could plunge our country into a state of lawlessness, the question remains: who is protecting Peter Opondo Kaluma?