Sporting neat dreads
By Tony Airo
I have grey hair from natural aging. Can I get it twisted to dreadlocks? What will people think?
Yes you can, but you might need to re-twist it once in a while since grey hair is stubborn and does not lock easily. What people say or think should not bother you — after all, people will always talk. For better results, use colourless twist gel. The best length to begin with is 2 º inches. You may need to visit the salon frequently for a neat and presentable look.
How do I maintain dreadlocks because I have heard too much that I am no longer sure about what is good and bad.
Locks are a thick section of hair twisted together so if you do not clean them well, they could smell.
Dos and don’ts of dreadlocks on African hair:
• Wash once every week.
• Use a blow dryer to dry the locks and ensure they are really dry; then oil the scalp.
• You can colour your dreads, set them using rollers or just leave them draped.
• Try to have one person maintaining your locks so that, incase you are not pleased with the services, you can easily refer to him or her.
• If you get itchy, ask your stylist to change the products.
• Do not use wax oil on the scalp, as it is too thick and will block your pores and cause the scalp to itch.
• Do not wash your hair vigorously when they are freshly done.
• Style depending on your face shape: Do not imitate anyone’s style — not every person looks nice with long dreads or held back dreads. Even short dreads, called baby locks look great.
• For daily maintenance, use oil sheen spray or hair polisher.
• For beginners, braid the dreads for a firmer lock.
• Dreadlocks drain your body so people with dreads are always slim.
• Dreadlocks belong to a particular group of people.
• You have to cut your hair if you want to do away with dreadlocks. (Note that, you could actually comb them out if they are upto four months old.)
• Dreadlocks need thick hair. (I, however, do not advise dreadlocks on processed hair.)
• Always use honey to twist dreadlocks.
Ex-Raila aide lays ground for Ruto's Nyanza visit
- Duale mocks Raila, Kalonzo union, says why it will flop
- Body of Kilifi woman stolen from grave found dumped near river
- 'Scarface': End of an era as iconic lion dies aged 14 at Masai Mara
- Six killed in game park gun battle
By Ali Abdi
- Revisitor and revisited: We can’t blame Uhuru entirely