Shock as decomposing body of pupil found in class

The deceased had reportedly been missing for two months. [iStockphoto]

Shock gripped teachers and students of Mogoyet Primary School in Kimini, Trans Nzoia county after the decomposing body of a Grade Six pupil was discovered in a classroom.

The school was immediately closed following the sad incident.

The deceased had reportedly been missing for two months.

The body was found after teachers reported foul smell emanating from one of the ECDE classrooms.

A search in the classrooms led to the discovery of the decomposing body.

Jackson Muganda, a parent, said the girl vanished shortly after completing Grade Six exams.

"The school management had to look for someone to fumigate and was shocked to learn that it was a human body," said Muganda.

"The shock and grief within the community IS palpable as they grapple with the realisation that a young life was lost under mysterious circumstances within the confines of the school," he added.

Kiminini OCPD, John Onditi termed the incident tragic.

He assured the public that thorough investigation would be done to unravel the circumstances that led to the pupil's death.

"We will launch investigations to know when 12-year-old Triza Naliaka, was killed, who killed her, and the motive behind the inhumane killing," said Onditi.

The police boss revealed that the pupil’s disappearance was not reported by her parents and relatives.

"It is disturbing that no relative reported the matter to any police station," he said.

Onditi said the pupil's mother assumed that she had gone to visit her father.

He urged parents and guardians to always confirm the whereabouts of their children and report to the police any unusual occurrences.

"Even at this time when schools are opening, parents should report children, especially girls, if they have not reported to schools yet," he said.

The discovery has raised concerns about safety protocols and supervision within the school, prompting authorities to scrutinize the overall security measures in place.

School head teacher Amadi Douglas, when contacted by The Standard, confirmed the closure of the school following the sad incident to allow fumigation of classrooms before the 632 pupils resume learning on Monday next week.

"After an in-depth consultation with the school sponsor (AIC) and officers of the Ministry of Education, we agreed to close the school until Monday next week when counseling will be conducted," said Douglas.