A court in Kapsabet is set to rule on whether 10 suspects linked to an explosion inside Karebe Gold Mining will be released on bond.
The police had requested for 10 days to investigate the suspects alleged to have invaded the mining shaft and attacked miners with explosives, killing three people and leaving a dozen others injured.
The suspects are Alfred Magut, Simion Cheruiyot, Henry Ruto, Wilson Tigoi, Philemon Too, Shadrack Milelei, Daniel Kiplagat, Kennedy Kurgat, Zakayo Korir and Hillary Kipchirchir.
Christine Rono, chief inspector attached to the DCI, through an affidavit, told the court that tension is still high at Chemase where the incident occurred on January 23. She said releasing the suspects will jeopardise investigations.
She said detectives need 10 more days to wrap up the investigation and analyse exhibits and reach more witnesses.
“Tension is still high in the area and continuing holding them is for their own safety,” said the DCI officer.
Rono added that the suspects were from the same localities as the deceased persons and were likely to interfere with investigation, adding that they had been rescued by police from an angry public.
Kapsabet Chief Magistrate Samuel Mokua directed the suspects be held at the Kapsabet Police Station.
They will be presented in court today when the magistrate will rule on bail application.
Stay informed. Subscribe to our newsletter