Suspected food poisoning at RMS claims one life, several hospitalised

A signboard of the Royal Media Services Headquarters on Dennis Pritt Road, Nairobi. [File, Standard]

The Royal Media Services (RMS) has confirmed a food poisoning incident at the company’s Nairobi headquarters on Sunday, December 25 and Monday, December 26.

The food contamination claimed the life of one person and left several hospitalised.

The Standard understands that the deceased, a middle-aged woman, worked as a cleaner at the company’s Dennis Pritt offices.

An informant, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said more than ten people had been hospitalised.

RMS had hired a private catering company to provide food to staff members working on Christmas and Boxing Day holidays.

“The most affected victims were those who ate the food on Christmas Day (December 25). The others, who ate the food on Boxing Day (December 26), had mild to moderate symptoms,” said our source, who estimated that the number of those affected could be close to 20.

In a statement dated Tuesday, December 27, Royal Media Services Managing Director Wachira Waruru confirmed that one person had died, and “several” staff members hospitalised.

The Standard understands that the company secured treatment services for all employees who ate the food.

“We’ve all been checked by medical doctors who were brought by the company. Some of us, who had mild to moderate symptoms, were given medication, while those who needed extra medical attention were admitted to hospitals,” said our informant.

The RMS has a longstanding tradition of providing food to its employees working on holidays.

Below is the full statement signed by the RMS Group MD Wachira Waruru:

“The Royal Media Services (RMS) is saddened to confirm a serious case of food poisoning that affected a significant number of staff working over the Christmas shift.

“In keeping with holiday period working arrangements, the RMS engaged a private food catering company to provide meals for staff working during the Christmas shift.

“On Boxing Day December 26 2022, some of the staff complained of severe stomach pains after consuming meals served within the premises of the company.

“We are deeply shocked and saddened to inform the public that one staff member has unfortunately succumbed to the illness attributed to the suspected food poisoning. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of our deceased staff member during this difficult time.

“Several staffers have also been hospitalised for the suspected poisoning.

“RMS is providing all the necessary support to the affected staff and suspected food poisoning incident is currently under investigation.”

The Standard
Subscribe for the KES1999 KES999 offer today!