Two electrocuted while installing billboard on Embu supermarket

The scene where two workers were electrocuted as they installed a billboard on the second floor of Jatomy Supermarket in Embu town. [Joseph Muchiri/Standard]
Two workers were electrocuted as they installed a billboard at a supermarket in Embu. A third worker sustained serious injuries in the 3.30pm accident on Monday.

The workers hired to install the billboard on the second floor of Embu’s Jatomy Supermarket died after the board snapped and fell on live wires.

Embu County Police Commander Daniel Rukunga said the two men were pronounced dead on arrival at the Embu Level Five and Referral Hospital.

Rukunga said the third worker is admitted to the same hospital in critical condition after he was hit by the shock and thrown to the ground.

“The victim sustained fractures and is undergoing treatment. The fourth worker was treated at the same hospital and discharged. Police are investigating how it happened and who was culpable. We condole with the families of the men who lost their lives and wish the injured worker quick recovery,” he said.

The accident temporarily disrupted activities in the busy town, as a crowd milled around the scene while police approached carefully.

Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Standard Digital Telegram channel HERE.

Get the latest summary of news in your email every morning. Subscribe below

* indicates required
Embu’s Jatomy SupermarketWorkers electrocuted