Blame as Ol Kalou slaughter house is shut down

Traders claim issues of hygiene should not be directed to the butchery business alone when the entire town lacked a proper sewerage system. [Courtesy]
Meat traders and butchers in Ol-Kalou town have faulted a move by National Environmental Management Authority (Nema) to close a popular slaughter house.

On Monday, Nema shut down the slaughter house for lacking a proper drainage and sewerage system.

The duo termed the act "malicious" and said it was "being done in the interests of a private slaughter house".

They claimed issues of hygiene being raised by Nema could not be directed to the butchery business alone when the entire town lacked a proper sewerage system.

“We wonder why Nema is only targeting slaughter houses. More than 200 people have now lost jobs,” said Ol-Kalou Business Community chair Peter Thinji.

Peter Maina, a beef trader, said the shut public slaughter house had been in operation for the last 60 years and closing it "will be an act of economic sabotage" which would be detrimental to their business.

Governor Francis Kimemia has taken up the matter, saying his administration will look into the closure, but also ensure the abattoir meets the required standards.

For More of This and Other Stories, Grab Your Copy of the Standard Newspaper.

He said issues of health were paramount. He underscored the need to have the matter critically looked into so that the business is not paralysed while ensuring the lives of meat consumers were not at risk.

Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Standard Digital Telegram channel HERE.

Ol-Kalou townNemaGovernor Francis KimemiaJames Munyek