Mighty Gor Mahia seal record 18th league title

Gor Mahia FC’s Charles Momanyi celebrates his goal against Vihiga FC during KPL match at Kenyatta Stadium, Machakos County on Wednesday, May 22, 2019. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]
Gor Mahia have officially won the 2018/2019 SportPesa Premier League for keep with two matches to spare despite being frustrated to a 1-1 draw by relegation-threatened Vihiga United in yesterday's tie at Kenyatta Stadium.

This is Hassan Oktay's men third consecutive title and an unprecedented 18th crown. The trophy will be handed over to K'Ogalo on Saturday in Machakos during their away match to 14th placed Posta Rangers.

"Gor Mahia will have the trophy for keep this season. That's the procedure and we will have to follow it. We will buy another trophy for next season," Kenyan Premier League CEO Jack Oguda told Standard Sports.

Vihiga captain Amos Kigadi cancelled out Charles Momanyi's first-half opener to revive Sammy Okoth's slim relegation survival chances.

Mathare United did K'Ogalo a favour by frustrating their closest title challenges Bandari (62) to a barren draw at Kasarani Stadium. 

The dockers needed to beat the Slum boys and pray Gor to drop all the three points to delay their inevitable title celebrations.

The maximum points Bandari will garner if they win all their remaining two matches is 68, two points less than the current Gor's tally (70).

For More of This and Other Stories, Grab Your Copy of the Standard Newspaper.

Samuel Onyango came close to breaking the deadlock for the hosts in the 11th minute but the winger fluffed his effort.

However, the former Ulinzi man made amends two minutes later when he perfectly executed a free kick for the unmarked Charles Momanyi, who powered a header past goalkeeper Michael Matasio.

Alex Imbusia then saw his long-range effort go inches wide in the 19th minute before Dennis Wafula's shot was deflected for a throw-in.

Jacques Tuyisenge missed a golden opportunity to double Gor's lead on the half-hour mark after being released through by Nicholas Kipkirui before Kenneth Muguna shot directly at Matasio.

Kipkirui then ballooned his shot after combining well with Muguna in the box.

Moments later, Vihiga captain Amos Kigadi forced a fine save from goalkeeper Frederick Odhiambo before he missed a sitter from Imbusia's delivery.

Gor responded but the keeper made a superb save to deny Onyango.

Kigadi nearly drew level five minutes into the second half, but his glancing header went over the bar before Onyango's shot went wide on the opposite end.

But after a series of attempts, Kigadi was finally rewarded in the 57th minute when he rose high above his markers to head home Hedmond Mauda's free kick.

Gor almost regained the lead immediately after the restart but Matasio did well to parry away Kipkirui's effort for a fruitless corner.

Yesterday's SPL results
Ulinzi Stars 3-3 Kariobangi Sharks
Kakamega Homeboyz 1-2 Sony Sugar
Mathare United 0-0 Bandari
Sofapaka 0-0 Chemelil Sugar
Nzoia Sugar 0-1 KCB
Western Stima 2-1 Posta Rangers
Gor Mahia 1-1 Vihiga United

We are undertaking a survey to help us improve our content for you. This will only take 1 minute of your time, please give us your feedback by clicking HERE. All responses will be confidential.

SPLGor MahiaVihiga UnitedSportPesa Premier LeagueHassan OktayBandari FCMathare UnitedKariobangi SharksSony SugarUlinzi United