The Directorate of Criminal Investigations boss has told the court that he is waiting for a report from the US authorities on the Sh2 billion fake currency found at Barclays Bank.
DCI boss George Kinoti said he was awaiting a report from the US Secret Service Unit to authenticate the money that was seized at Barclays Bank Queensway Branch last month.
“I need more time to respond to the suit filed by Eric Otieno Adede, a businessman charged last month with over Sh2 billion alleged fake cash,” said Mr Kinoti through prosecution counsel Victor Owiti.
Justice John Mativo was informed that Adede, in his suit papers, claims the money is not fake and wants DCI ordered to return it.
Kinoti, however, told the court yesterday that he needed a report from US Secret Service over the said dollars.
The court gave him two weeks to respond to the suit.
Adede, the owner of the box held at Barclays Bank and which contained $20,067,900 accused the DCI of alleging the money is fake, a fact he said was untrue and meant to embarrass him.
“The applicant is apprehensive that the DCI might tamper with the aforesaid currency that does not form part of the criminal case thus depriving him of his money,” argued his lawyer Martin Oloo.
Adede was charged last month alongside three traders with conspiring to defraud businessman Muriithi Materi Mbuthia of Sh20 million at the bank's Queensway branch on March 19.
The case will be mentioned on June 18.
We are undertaking a survey to help us improve our content for you. This will only take 1 minute of your time, please give us your feedback by clicking HERE. All responses will be confidential.