The county government has set aside Sh800 million to mitigate the ongoing hunger that has reportedly claimed several people in the region.
Governor Josphat Nanok said the funds are meant for the emergency relief response to thousands of hunger-stricken victims.
Speaking in Morulem, Turkana East at the weekend, Nanok said his administration had approved the budgetary reallocation to be spent in buying relief food, distribution of water and in responding to health issues.
“The county government will raise Sh546 million in its budget with Sh78 million available and already approved for spending in the next cycle of emergency relief response. Sh238.5 million of this amount awaits to be approved by the county assembly while county departments will reorganise their budgets to raise the remaining Sh229.6 million,” he stated.
Nanok added: “The response will last the next three months and we fear the condition might not improve since there are expectations the drought could extend because of the meteorological forecast that the region will receive little rainfall.”
The county boss said they have already concluded the first phase of relief food distribution that targeted 805,000 residents.
“We have also postponed the annual tourism and cultural festival that had been scheduled from April 25 to 27,” Mr Nanok said.