One student dies in a dormitory fire at Kaptabuk secondary school

A Form Two boy at Kaptabuk Secondary School in Pokot South has died in a dormitory fire.

 West Pokot County Commissioner Apollo Okello said the fire broke out at 10 pm on Monday after an electrical fault.

Okello said the student who was on bed rest was trapped in the burning building and sustained serious burns.

He was taken to Kapenguria Hospital but was declared dead on arrival.

Rev Jackson Alukusia, a relative to the deceased, said the boy suffocated to death and its too unfortunate nobody was there to rescue him.
"We are saddened with the demise of the form two boy. The government should put measures to avert fires in school. They should do an inspection and proper electrical wiring. The ministry of education should introduce fire and safety lessons in schools," he said.

This comes a week after Chewoyet high school was set ablaze.

The school was closed indefinitely and the students are expected to report back to school during this week.

We are undertaking a survey to help us improve our content for you. This will only take 1 minute of your time, please give us your feedback by clicking HERE. All responses will be confidential.

Kaptabuk Secondary SchoolPokot County Commissioner