×
App Icon
The Standard e-Paper
Kenya’s Boldest Voice
★★★★ - on Play Store
Download App

Zimbabwe's biggest mobile operator Econet says ordered to shut down internet

Zimbabwe Police officers are seen driving along the streets of Harare, Zimbabwe. [Photo: Reuters]

HARARE- Zimbabwe’s biggest mobile operator Econet Wireless said on Friday it had been ordered to shut down internet in the southern African country until further notice following days of deadly protests over steep fuel price hikes.

The internet was cut off earlier this week, with critics saying the government sought to prevent images of its heavy-handedness in dealing with protesters from being broadcast around the world.

Get Full Access for Ksh299/Week.
Fact‑first reporting that puts you at the heart of the newsroom. Subscribe for full access.
  • Unlimited access to all premium content
  • Uninterrupted ad-free browsing experience
  • Mobile-optimized reading experience
  • Weekly Newsletters
  • MPesa, Airtel Money and Cards accepted
Already a subscriber? Log in