The Ministry of Education caved in to pressure yesterday and extended admission of First Formers by one more week.
In a statement released last night, Principal Secretary Belio Kipsang said the extension up to Friday January 18th will give every child an opportunity to get admitted.
“Leadership of school principals and parents have made requests for extension of reporting dates to enable admissions of all learners,” Mr Kipsang said.
The exercise targeting more than one million students closed yesterday before all admissions could be made.
It was not clear how many had reported to school by close of business yesterday but it emerged that more than 50,000 transfer requests had been approved.
Last week, PS Kipsang instructed all principals who had issued hard copy letters to parents to regularise the process by uploading the students’ details onto the National Education Management Information System (NEMIS) for approval. “All schools are directed to upload all admitted students into NEMIS system immediately,” Kipsang said.
Among those who had pleaded for extension of the deadline was the Kenya National Association of Parents national through its chairman Nicholas Maiyo. “Some parents are still crying over delayed approvals of their requests through the NEMIS,” he said.
Kenya Secondary School Heads Association chairman Kahi Indimuli had also pressed for more time. Uriri MP Mark Nyamita had written a letter to CS Amina Mohamed asking for an extension.
“It is a well-considered view that this time frame is too tight and strenuous to parents who have just come out of a financially demanding festive season,” said Mr Nyamita complaining about delayed bursaries and farmers dues.