Two people have been confirmed dead while 17 others are receiving treatment at Narok County Hospital following a suspected cholera outbreak at Nkasuria village in Narok South sub-county.
Narok County Health Executive Vivian Mpeti said health officials at the facility received several patients who were exhibiting diarrhoea and vomiting symptoms.
“On January 6, this year, we received the patients apparently from one village in Naroosura Ward. Upon arrival, one man succumbed while another one died while receiving treatment of the same ailment at a private hospital,” said Ms Mpeti.
The county health official said the disease surveillance team had already taken four samples and results point at cholera but the same blood samples have been taken to the Government Chemist for further analysis.
So far, she said nine of the patients were in stable condition.
Mpeti said a response team comprising public health and nurses had been dispatched to the affected village to investigate the source and quality of water as well as the food being consumed by villagers for further action.
“We want to find out whether the cause of the outbreak is as a result of contaminated water or food poisoning. Once we get the situation on the ground is when we shall take the appropriate action,” said Ms Mpeti.
She also said the patients had been isolated since the disease is highly contagious.
The county official hinted the diarrhoea outbreak could also be linked to contaminated water caused by the ongoing downpour in several parts of the county.
It is not the first time cholera cases are reported in the county.
In 2017, cholera fears gripped Narok Boys High school after over 40 students were treated for diarrhoea and vomiting, symptoms associated with the disease.
Students, according to the institution’s administration, began experiencing stomachache and vomiting, forcing the institution to call local medics.
The Health CEC has, however, urged the county residents to observe high standards of hygiene to combat the disease.