Your are here  » Home   » North Eastern

Two killed in Garissa grenade attack

By - Updated Saturday, January 5th 2013 at 00:00 GMT +3
Share this story:
Google Plus

By Cyrus Ombati

At least two people were killed and seven wounded in a grenade attack at Dagahale area in Garissa on Friday evening.

The incident happened at 7 pm.

Police say the blast happened when a speeding saloon car stopped at a tent where the locals use it as a place for chewing miraa, stopped and hurled a grenade at them and sped off.

North Eastern Provincial Police Officer Phillip Tuimur says two people died on the spot while among the seven who were rushed to the hospital, two people were critically injured. He added that no arrest had been made.

He said that the police were on alert in the area to look for attackers who sped in a saloon car.

The incident is the latest to happen after the incident in Hagader North Eastern Kenya.

Kenya has suffered a string of grenade and gun attacks since its troops crossed into Somalia in pursuit of Al-Shabaab militants.

This adds to several incident s that have been reported since October 2010 when Kenyan troops crossed to Somalia to hunt Al Shabaab militants.

It was recently reported by Garissa County Commissioner Maalim Mohammed that Al Shabaab was offering a bounty reward of up to Sh890,000 ($8,000) for any Kenyan security officer killed.

Mr Mohammed said the Government got the information after intercepting the Al Shabaab militants’ communication.

He stated that Al Shabaab was said to be using very high frequency radio communications to plan attacks in Kenya.

GO TO PAGE 1 2 Next »
Do you have something to add to this story? Comment here.
North Eastern
Comment Policy
Jeff Koinange Live with PLO Lumumba and Barrack Muluka 10/2/2016 part 1
Outgoing Sam Nyamweya Welcomes Team Change at FKF
Nick Mwendwa elected new Football Kenya Federation President
Kenya National Chamber of Commerce seeks to open up markets for SMES
Corruption at the port takes up cost of doing business
ICPAK call for resignation of Jonathan Ciano as chair of institute’s disciplinary committee