By Standard Digital Reporter
|Controversial Muslim cleric Aboud Rogo. (Photo:File/Standard)|
One person has been reported dead during a battle between police and youth protesting the killing of Muslim cleric Aboud Rogo outside Majengo mosque, Mombasa.
Gunmen shot dead the radical Muslim cleric in Bamburi area in Mombasa.
The cleric was killed when the van he was travelling in from Mtwapa towards Mombasa with three other people on board was sprayed with bullets near Pirates Beach.
Two of them have sustained serious injuries and rushed to hospital as his body was taken away.
According to the wife, Haniya said Saadar, Aboud who was driving the van was taking one person to hospital when the incident occured.
A conflict arose between police and the clerics' supporters as the latter fought to have custody of the body. In a private ambulance, the supporters seized the body claiming to take it to Kikambala, Kilifi for burial.
A Salvation Army church near the Majengo mosque where a service for the deceased was being held was set on fire. Protesters were dispersed as they tried to attack another church, Jesus Celebration centre in Tudor.
More to follow...
Next Story »
- South Sudan to free prisoners as pressure mounts for peace deal
- Shock as cow gives birth to calf with two heads
- One dead, three in hospital after inhaling poisonous gas at Osiri gold mine, Migori
- Embattled South Sudan president replaces army chief
- Kalonzo apologises over remark to journalist
- Turn your passion into lucrative business