At least 15 houses were on Friday set ablaze by irate residents of Emukaya village in Navakholo sub-county following the killing of a man on his way from a disco matanga.
Locals also destroyed a two-acre maize plantation, sugarcane plantation vegetables and killed cows among other valuables.
The incident happened when the body of Kelvin Mutenyo who was killed while returning home from a disco matanga was being brought home for burial from Kakamega County Teaching and Referral hospital.
Mutenyo is suspected to have been killed by area village elder Bett Barasa’s son after the two disagreed over a woman who had also attended the night vigil (disco matanga).
The incident happened two weeks ago.
Barasa, together with his family and neighbours were not at home during the attack and are still at large.
Irate locals overpowered police officers drawn from Shiongo Police Post and Navakholo Police Station who had been deployed at the homestead.
They pelted them with stones and the officers ran away fearing for their dear life
Martin Wanyama, an eyewitness told the Saturday Standard that the deceased was stabbed several times on the chest and was found the following day in a pool of blood, adding that his tongue and private parts were also missing.
“What happened yesterday is in line with our traditions. Anyone who has killed, his houses must be burnt down and everything in their homestead destroyed before the deceased is buried. This is to deter anyone with such heinous intentions from doing so,” said Wanyama.
Samson Mutenyo, the deceased father and Catherine Tindi (deceased mother) expressed their dissatisfaction over the manner in which police are investigating the incident.
“The police are not serious in their investigations. They have not told us where they have reached with investigations so far. We are afraid that we will not get justice for our son,” said Samson.
Navakholo Deputy County Commissioner Geoffrey Tanui confirmed the incident saying investigations are at an advanced stage to nail down the suspects, saying the incident of razing down the houses will also be treated as criminal.
“It’s criminal for wananchi to take law into their own hands. What they did is wrong and the law will take its course. The family of the deceased and locals are advised to remain calm and allow the police to do their job,” said Tanui