×
App Icon
The Standard e-Paper
Smart Minds Choose Us
★★★★ - on Play Store
Download App

Brazil's Pele returns to hospital for tumor treatment checkup

Dec. 1, 2017 file photo, Brazilian soccer legend Pele attends the 2018 soccer World Cup draw in the Kremlin in Moscow. On his social media accounts, Pele said on Monday, Sept. 6, 2021 that an apparent tumor on the right side of his colon had been removed in an operation. AP

Brazilian soccer great Pele has returned to hospital for a routine checkup, his business's manager told Reuters on Thursday, as he undergoes treatment after having a colon tumor removed last year.

Sports TV network ESPN reported earlier in the day that Pele, 81, was back at Sao Paulo's Albert Einstein hospital for new chemotherapy sessions.

Get Full Access for Ksh299/Week.
Fact‑first reporting that puts you at the heart of the newsroom. Subscribe for full access.
  • Unlimited access to all premium content
  • Uninterrupted ad-free browsing experience
  • Mobile-optimized reading experience
  • Weekly Newsletters
  • MPesa, Airtel Money and Cards accepted
Already a subscriber? Log in