Jurgen Klopp sets new Premier League record as Liverpool boss lands another award
Jurgen Klopp has set a new Premier League record, after again being named Manager of the Month.
For the fifth time this term, the Reds boss has taken the prize.
Klopp has won the award in August, September, November, December and January.
The only month in which he hasn't been successful is October, when Chelsea boss Frank Lampard took the honour.
It was in that month when Liverpool dropped points for the only time this season, in the 1-1 draw with Manchester United at Old Trafford.
The German's latest triumph means he has beaten Pep Guardiola's record for most Manager of the Month awards in a single season.
Liverpool won all five of their league games during January, as they continued their march towards the Premier League title and extended their lead over second place Manchester City to 22 points.
They began the month with a 2-0 win over Sheffield United, before claiming a 1-0 win at Spurs and a 2-0 home success over Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side at Anfield.
Roberto Firmino bagged a late winner at Molineux as they navigated a tricky encounter against Wolves with a 2-1 success - with Raul Jimenez's header the only goal they conceded during the opening month of 2020.
They finished the month with a 2-0 victory at West Ham United, courtesy of goals from Mo Salah and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.
That run of form was enough to see off competition from Man City boss Guardiola, Southampton chief Ralph Hasenhuttl and Watford chief Nigel Pearson.
Klopp's men have taken a staggering 73 points from a possible 75 this season, and look set to end the club's 30-year wait for an English league title.
The 52 year-old has now taken eight manager of the month accolades since his arrival in English football.
He still has some way to go to level the record set by Sir Alex Ferguson however, with the legendary former Manchester United boss boasting a staggering 27 Manager of the Month gongs.
- Man City's Walker faces disciplinary action for breaking lockdown rulesFootball 2 days ago
- Serie A season could run to October - Italian FA bossFootball 2 days ago
- Former Mombasa Golf Club captain Mbua dies of coronavirusGolf 2 days ago
- Premier League wage row risks undermining good work - UK ministerFootball 2 days ago
- Man City boss Pep Guardiola's mother dies after contracting coronavirusFootball 2 days ago
- Fines paid by players and clubs to go into coronavirus fundFootball 2 days ago
- The framework that keeps Menengai Oilers punching above their weight Rugby 2 days ago