Kenya Cup: Homeboyz thrash Quins as Kabras humble Kisumu RFC

By Clement Wekulo and Washington Onyango: Sunday, January 26th 2020 at 00:00 GMT +3 | Rugby
Teddy Agutu (right) of Top Fry Nakuru RFC battles for the ball with Nicholas Mukire of Menengai Oilers RFC during the Kenya Cup match at Nakuru Athletics Club on January 25, 2020. [Kipsang Joseph/Standard]

Homeboyz registered their third successive win in the Kenya Cup after beating Kenya Harlequin 48-3 at RFUEA ground in Nairobi on Saturday.

The result saw the Deejays complete a double over Quins having beaten them 26-13 in the first match of the season, thus maintaining third position on the standings.

In other matches, champions KCB, fresh from being named the 2019 Male Sports Team of The Year, overcame Western Bulls 29-8 as Kabras Sugar maintained top spot with a 59-13 hiding of relegation-threatened Kisumu RFC at the Mamboleo Showground in Kisumu.

Nakuru RFC saw off cross-town neighbours Menengai Oilers 19-17 while Mwamba beat Kenyatta University's Blak Blad 15-14.

Back to RFUEA ground, Bob Muhati went over between the sticks as Mohammed Omollo added the conversion to give the Deejays a 7-0 lead. An infringement by Quins deep in their own territory would prove costly with Homeboyz being awarded a penalty which Omollo took to extend his side’s advantage to 10-0.

Zeden Marrow then added his name on the score sheet with an unconverted try as Quins struggled to get into the game.

Get the latest sports news updates. Subscribe to our SMS sports service by texting 'SPORTS' to 22840.

Omollo continued his kicking prowess as he added the extras to Joshua Chisanga’s try on the stroke of half time to send Hector Jason’s charges 22-0 up at the break.

Lyle Asiligwa reduced the deficit for Quins with a penalty before Muhati sealed his brace to take the result beyond doubt.

Stanley Isogol, Meshack Akenga and Leonard Mugaisi all joined the scorer's list to hand Homeboyz their 10th win of the campaign.

At Mamboleo Showground, Brian Tanga bagged a hat-trick of tries as Kabras Sugar thrashed Kisumu RFC to maintain their perfect run and lead in the Kenya Cup standings.

Kisumu took a 3-0 lead five minutes into the match after Obadia Ndege split the posts with a well-taken penalty before Alfred Orege got the millers first try with South African Ntabeni Dukisa converting.

Brian Tanga would then cross the white-wash for Kabras Sugar's second try of the day and Zimbabwean Royal Mwale added a third for a 21-3 lead after Dukisa successfully converted.

Tanga would then dance his way from the halfway line to slot in a centre post try with Dukisa adding the twos for a 28-3 leda at the break. 

After the restart, Walter Okoth joined the fray with his first try for his new employers before Tanga got a hat-trick. 

For More of This and Other Sports Stories Subscribe to the Standard Epaper