Man United fined for players' reaction to Roberto Firmino's disallowed goal for Liverpool
Manchester United have been fined for their players' reaction to Roberto Firmino's disallowed goal at Anfield against the Red Devils.
Firmino had the ball in the net which would have put the Reds 2-0 up during the first half.
Referee Craig Pawson initially allowed the goal to stand but VAR ruled it out after finding Virgil van Dijk had fouled David de Gea prior to Firmino scoring.
De Gea and several other United players surrounded the referee and United have been slapped with a £20,000 fine for their reaction.
An FA statement said: " Manchester United
"The club failed to ensure its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion during the 26th minute of a Premier League fixture against Liverpool FC on 19 January 2020."
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer defended his players after the game, which ended 2-0 thanks to goals from Van Dijk and Mohamed Salah, saying their reaction was justified.
"Maybe I shouldn't talk too much about that," said Solskjaer. "Let's get that decision done but, it [the goal] was overturned.
"I reacted because everybody could see it was a foul."
But United legend Roy Keane insisted the goal should have stood.
"Why he's disallowed this goal is beyond me," he said. "I can't get my head around it. He's got his eye on the ball.
"De Gea's done this before, I think there's a softness to him. The game's gone mad."
Former Liverpool enforcer Graeme Souness added: "Under no circumstances is that a foul. If you’re talking about VAR as some sort of magnificent computer that's perfect in every way, it's human error and they don't know what they're doing, that's the bottom line.
"It's laughable. How much more honest could he be in his challenge?"
- Kiplagat promises song and dance on her comebackAthletics 2 days ago
- How Kakamega boy Okombe is living his dream in ItalyHockey 2 days ago
- Top football club doctor dies after contracting coronavirusFootball 2 days ago
- Did virus scrap your marathon? In Japan, there's an app for thatAthletics 2 days ago
- Fiji Rugby players, staff take 40 per cent paycut in response to coronavirusRugby 2 days ago
- Man City's Walker faces disciplinary action for breaking lockdown rulesFootball 2 days ago
- Serie A season could run to October - Italian FA bossFootball 2 days ago