Malkia Strikers thump Nigeria, qualify for Tokyo 2020 Olympics
Kenya’s female volleyball team Malkia Strikers, have qualified for the 2020 Volleyball Olympic to be held in Tokyo, Japan in July.
The national ladies’ volleyball team beat Nigerians in three sets 25-15, 25-21 and 25-12 making it to the tournament.
While congratulating the team, Sports PS Ambassador Kirimi Kaberia said: “The Government will ensure Malkia Strikers gets the best preparation before the Olympic games so that they can compete on an equal footing with the other teams.”
“Congratulations to Malkia Strikers for making Kenya proud by qualifying for the 2020 Olympics Games in Tokyo. We now have three team sports at the Olympics as Malkia Strikers now join rugby Sevens men and women’s teams,” Amb. Kaberia added.
“According to the law, sports federations and the National Olympic Committee are responsible for the qualification process. Once qualified teams become the responsibility of the Government of Kenya,” he said.
The national volleyball team is returning the Olympics after a 16-year hiatus. Kenya last participated at the Games in 2004 in Athens, Greece.
Malkia won against hosts and main rivals Cameroon with a 3-2 victory on Tuesday
Kenya last met Nigeria at the 2017 Africa Championship where Malkia Strikers defeated the West Africans 3-0.
- It’s try time as star Ouma recalled ahead of USA legRugby 2 days ago
- Arsenal boss Arteta hails Saka impact after win at OlympiakosFootball 2 days ago
- Why it is important for players to follow rules and respect othersGolf 2 days ago
- United outclass Watford to stay in top-four huntFootball 1 hour ago
- Eriksen scores first Inter goal, Ajax lose, United heldFootball 2 days ago
- Top guns who crossed the seas, fell in love through athletics [PHOTOS]Athletics 1 day ago
- Beach Volleyball: Coach Mulinge drops twoVolleyball and Handball 1 day ago